Couples Counseling in New Jersey
Many couples are apprehensive about engaging in therapy because to them, it indicates that the relationship is ending. However, couples who willingly attend therapy are more likely to find long term success as a result of their participation. The initial courtship’s glow will inevitably fade and real-life issues will arise. What separates more successful relationships from others is the way a couple overcomes these obstacles.
Adversity can trigger deeper, unresolved issues that an individual experienced in their own family of origin.
However, couples who willingly attend therapy are more likely to find long term success as a result of their participation. The initial courtship’s glow will inevitably fade and real life issues will arise. What separates more successful relationships from others is the way a couple overcomes these obstacles.
- Communicate more effectively with one another
- Identify chronic arguments in the relationship and address the underlying conflict or resentment
- Develop a sense of responsibility for personal behaviors
- Better manage daily stressors to avoid impacting the dynamic within the household
- Learn to express painful emotions that are sometimes internalized
- Reignite the passion, romance and friendship that was present in the initial stages of the relationship
- Learn to listen and respect the wants and needs of your partner
- Better identify one’s own wants and needs
- Create long term goals and dreams as a cohesive unit
- Heal from past hurts, emotional affairs and infidelity
- Improve connection amongst blended families
- Create a new beginning after suffering from a divorce or separation
- Address financial concerns as a couple, while creating an appropriate plan of action
- Redefine parenting roles and establish more effective discipline within the household
Meet the Team
Nikki P. Woods, MSW, LCSW
Founder of NWC & Psychotherapist
Nikki Woods is a highly-sought after licensed clinical psychotherapist and founder of the Navesink Wellness Center. After earning her Masters Degree at New York University, Nikki dedicated her career to studying the intricacies of the developing female mind. In her practice (both locally and globally), she empowers mothers to better support their daughters’ development, and assists young women in channeling their own voice – one built on self awareness, acceptance and love.
Her intuitive and insightful approach helps clients gain a greater sense of self worth, pursue life goals, improve relationship dysfunction, establish a more defined identity, and celebrate their own unique assets and capabilities. Her work has been featured in top publications such as Forbes and Inc. She works with patients both locally in Rumson, New Jersey as well as globally via her remote psychotherapy offerings.
Andrea Cernero, MA, LPC
Andrea is a Licensed Professional Counselor who specializes in working with children, adolescents, and young adults. She received her Bachelor’s degree from Towson University and Master’s Degree from Seton Hall University. In addition, Andrea completed a Post Master’s Program in Advanced Counseling at Montclair State University. Andrea has experience working as a counselor in the school setting at the elementary, middle, and high school levels, as well as in the clinical setting providing intensive outpatient, partial hospitalization, and outpatient counseling services.
Andrea is passionate about providing therapy to clients who would like to explore personal difficulties that impact their sense of well-being. Andrea has extensive experience working specifically with children and adolescents. Among her areas of expertise are assisting clients with anxiety, depression, self harm, family changes, and suicide prevention.
Andrea has utilized the Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) model to facilitate counseling groups for teens focusing of teaching interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation, & distress tolerance skills to reduce their symptoms of anxiety and depression. Additional Training: Intensive Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Lifelines Suicide Prevention Trainer, & Mindfulness Fundamentals Program