Couples Counseling in New Jersey
Many couples are apprehensive about engaging in therapy because to them, it indicates that the relationship is ending. However, couples who willingly attend therapy are more likely to find long term success as a result of their participation. The initial courtship’s glow will inevitably fade and real-life issues will arise. What separates more successful relationships from others is the way a couple overcomes these obstacles.
Adversity can trigger deeper, unresolved issues that an individual experienced in their own family of origin.
However, couples who willingly attend therapy are more likely to find long term success as a result of their participation. The initial courtship’s glow will inevitably fade and real life issues will arise. What separates more successful relationships from others is the way a couple overcomes these obstacles.
- Communicate more effectively with one another
- Identify chronic arguments in the relationship and address the underlying conflict or resentment
- Develop a sense of responsibility for personal behaviors
- Better manage daily stressors to avoid impacting the dynamic within the household
- Learn to express painful emotions that are sometimes internalized
- Reignite the passion, romance and friendship that was present in the initial stages of the relationship
- Learn to listen and respect the wants and needs of your partner
- Better identify one’s own wants and needs
- Create long term goals and dreams as a cohesive unit
- Heal from past hurts, emotional affairs and infidelity
- Improve connection amongst blended families
- Create a new beginning after suffering from a divorce or separation
- Address financial concerns as a couple, while creating an appropriate plan of action
- Redefine parenting roles and establish more effective discipline within the household
Meet the Team
Nikki P. Woods, MSW, LCSW
Founder of NWC & Psychotherapist
Nikki Woods is a highly-sought after licensed clinical psychotherapist and founder of the Navesink Wellness Center. After earning her Masters Degree at New York University, Nikki dedicated her career to studying the intricacies of the mind. She has worked with couples throughout her career, helping each partner to identify and change patterns of thinking, improve communication and find compromise and understanding.
Her intuitive and insightful approach helps clients gain a greater sense of self worth, pursue life goals, improve relationship dysfunction, establish a more defined identity, and celebrate their own unique assets and capabilities. Her work has been featured in top publications such as Forbes and Inc. She works with patients both locally in Rumson, New Jersey as well as globally via her remote psychotherapy offerings.
Andrea Cernero, MA, LPC
Andrea is a Licensed Professional Counselor. She received her Bachelor’s degree from Towson University and Master’s Degree from Seton Hall University. In addition, Andrea completed a Post Master’s Program in Advanced Counseling at Montclair State University.
Andrea is certified in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), which assists individuals in learning interpersonal effectiveness, emotion regulation and distress tolerance. Andrea is passionate about working with couples to better understand more effective ways of establishing empathy, support and connection.
Stephanie Conti, MS, LAC, NCC
Stephanie is a Licensed Associate Counselor with clinical experience working with adults and couples. She is bilingual in English and Spanish. After earning her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Rutgers University, Stephanie achieved her Master of Science Degree from Monmouth University.
Stephanie has earned certification in Level 1 Gottman Method Couples Therapy. She works to assist couples in identifying and applying more productive methods of communication and compromise.