· 1/4 cup quick cooking steel cut oats
· Dash of cinnamon, to taste
· 1 teaspoon chia seeds
· 1/4 cup chopped banana
· 1/4 cup organic blueberries
· 1 tablespoon almond meal or 2 teaspoons almond butter
· 1% or Dairy substitute milk
· 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
1. Prepare oats according to package instructions
2. Add cinnamon, chia seeds and banana pieces halfway through cooking
3. Stir in almond meal and splash with milk until oatmeal mixture is creamy
4. Top with blueberries and garnish with unsweetened coconut, if desired.
Makes One Serving
Why Are Steel Cut Oats Important To Your Diet?
Oats have a number of health benefits when eaten on a regular basis. They are packed with antioxidants, helping to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease by lowering blood pressure. They also lower cholesterol levels and protect LDL cholesterol from damage. Oats are filling and can assist in portion control and improving feelings of satiety. The fiber found in oats is also a helpful aide in digestion.
For individuals suffering from depression, selenium deficiency can be a contributing factor. Oatmeal with chia seeds is an easy way to incorporate selenium rich foods into your diet.
Click on the image below for Therese’s thoughts on oats and chia as a source of selenium.