By: Therese Bonanni
· 1 Medium Head Broccoli
· 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
· 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
· 3 Large Cloves of Garlic, Chopped
· 1 Small Potato, Peeled & Cut into 1″pieces
· 4 Cups (32 oz.) Container Bone Broth or Low Sodium, Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1. Trim about 2” off broccoli stem and discard. Cut florets off broccoli and set aside. Cut up remaining stems into 1” pieces.
2. Heat oil in a 4 to 6 quart stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened and onion is translucent.
3. Add potato, chicken broth and broccoli stems to pot. Cover and bring to a slow boil for 10 minutes.
4. Add reserved broccoli florets to pot. Cover and boil 5 to 7 more minutes until broccoli and potato are soft when pierced with a fork.
5. Let cool before transferring to blender or food processor. Puree, in batches, until smooth (or use an immersion blender.)
6. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and serve with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
Makes 6 Servings
Therese Bonanni, MS, RDN
Thérèse is a Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration, a Certified Nutritionist and member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.