1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
2 to 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups mashed)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil or butter
Scant 1/2 cup organic cane or coconut palm sugar (1/3 cup if you like it less sweet)
1 large organic or pasture-raised egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×4” loaf pan. You can use coconut oil, butter or a plant-based oil spray.
2. Mix flour, almond meal, baking soda and salt (if using) in large bowl. Set aside.
3. Mash bananas with a fork or potato masher until completely smooth. Whisk in the melted coconut oil, sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract just until combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the bowl with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula, if using.
5. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick into the center comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for a few minutes. Then, use a knife to loosen edges around loaf and remove from pan. Let cool completely before serving.